Looking for some creative ideas on how to decorate your split level foyer? There are many things you can do to make a welcoming entry way into your home.
There are a few different styles of split level foyers, some have stairs right away, while others may have a small entrance way in front of the stairs, depending on the layout of your home. Whatever your layout may be however, you’re sure to get some inspiration from our ideas below!
1. Avoid Clutter: Foyers can be a mess of shoes, coats, umbrellas, hats and everything else as soon as someone walks into the door. By clearing out all the clutter of this and finding an alternative place to store these items (such as a closet or a built-in shoe organizer) – this can make a dramatic difference for making your entrance way welcoming and inviting. Shelving can sometimes be used in place of a banister, which can make for additional storage space if necessary.
2. Paint Color: Choosing the Right Paint color will be a big factor. You’ll want something that compliments the rest of the colors of the rooms you can see from the foyer. Neutral colors, such as beiges and tans are popular, but don’t be afraid to go bold. If your foyer area is small, consider a lighter color as opposed to the darker colors as it could make for the space to appear smaller than it actually is.
3. Flowers or a Potted Plant: Flowers make for beautiful addition to a foyer and brings the outdoors in, making a nice transition into your home. A potted plant can also add a really nice touch in the corner beside the door.
4. Photos: If you have a lot of family photos, consider making a photo wall of black and white photography nicely framed. See our post: creating a photo wall.
5. Mirror: A mirror can help make the space appear larger than it actually is. You can find mirrors for a great price often times at thrift stores or even at discount retailers.
6. Lighting: Overhead lighting, such as recessed lighting can make your foyer very welcoming. If the ceilings are high, you may want to consider putting up a nice DIY-chandelier or other type of overhead hanging lighting.
Decorating a small split level foyer doesn’t have to be difficult – hopefully we will inspire you to create something wonderful!