I have a sweet spot for Bakers racks. I don’t know why, but I just love them, and I love thinking of new creative ways to put them to use! In this post I thought I would feature some creative ideas for decorating a bakers rack as well as sharing some tips on how to accessorize one to make it both functional and beautiful in any space in your home. (Because they’re not just for kitchens!)
Perhaps the nicest thing about Bakers racks is they are really inexpensive. You can buy them new for under $100…but since a lot of times they are built with iron or other sturdy materials, buying them secondhand is a great choice because they last a long time, and even if they are a little worn for the wear you can always paint them! I can’t tell you how many bakers racks I’ve seen for sale on sites like Craigslist – often times for $20 or less!
Idea #1: Accessorize for Baking
So, this is the obvious one, right? Here are some ideas to accessorize for baking:
- Hang spoons/utensils from the top
- Put utensils in a large container
- Hang/Display baking and pie pans and trays underneath
- Keep canisters of flour, sugar, etc. on the top shelf
- Accessorize with wooden signs with baking quotes/sayings or “Bakery” spelled out in wooden letters
Idea #2: The Coffee Bar
I stumbled across this on Pinterest several months ago (unfortunately no longer can find the original link to show you) – but basically they took a bakers rack and turned it into the ultimate coffee bar! Some ideas:
- Place a pretty tray of spoons and sugar bowl and other coffee accessories
- Keep coffee pot on the rack
- Hang mugs from the top shelf
- Use the bottom for storage – the perfect place for that cappuccino machine you rarely use!
- Display wooden signs with coffee/cafe sayings
- Accessorize with pitchers and other coffee related items (ie: dishtowels)
Idea #3: The Kitchen Accessory/Utility Rack
Perhaps another intended use for kitchen bakers racks, is to use it as a utility/accessory spot in your kitchen. Here are some things you can do to decorate it to make it functional while avoiding the clutter:
- Fresh flowers or plants (succulents do well in kitchens)
- Dish towel display/storage
- Microwave stand if not already a place for it in the kitchen
- Dishes and bowls
- Baking & Cooking pots and pans and skillets
- Kitchen knick-knacks and accessories
- Wooden signs or letters spelling out kitchen related words
- Hang cooking aprons
- Store & Display Cookbooks
Idea #4: The Pet Place
I love my pets – and having a spot dedicated to all their stuff is a great use for a bakers rack. Here are some things you could do:
- Place totes with dry food or display canned food on bottom shelves
- Store kitty litter on bottom shelf
- Hang leash/collars/clothing on top racks
- Store toys and pet accessories
- Signs with pet sayings
- Ceramic Pet-themed figurines
Idea #5: The Garden Rack
There are so many amazing ways to turn an ordinary bakers rack into a garden center:
- Store potting soil and large planters in the bottom shelving sections
- Plant food
- Gardening Books
- Live plants
- Gardening accessories: aprons, gloves, shovels, mini-rakes, etc.
- Bird houses
Idea #6: The Craft/Art Supply Rack
There are many different things you could do to incorporate a bakers rack into an art or craft room!
- Sewing basket on bottom shelves
- Ribbon storage from top
- Use clear plastic containers to store craft supply items
- Keep a tray with pens/pencils/markers/scissors/glue/etc.
- Display your favorite art or craft pieces
- Display books on your favorite craft topics
Idea #7: Drink Station
Much like the coffee bar, but with other drinks in mind. Some ideas:
- Punch Bowl & Serving Ladle
- Wine glasses or other decorative glasses
- Signs or sayings
- Bottles of Wine
Idea #8: Themed Decor
Whether it’s a holiday or a theme you love (Alice in Wonderland anyone?) – there are plenty of ways you can dress up a bakers rack to display your favorite holiday or theme.
- Themed Cookie Jars/Vases/Tea Pots
- Seasonal/Themed Knick-Knacks
- Decorative Items that tie into your theme/season
Idea #9: Never-be-Bored Board Game Bakers Rack
Why not place one in your family room to decoratively store board games and other things for entertaining?
- Favorite board games
- Place bean bag chairs or cushions to sit on in the bottom
- Snacks & Drinks
Idea #10: Laundry Station
If you have a laundry room and would like to spruce it up while at the same time adding some storage, this is another great idea!
- Place heavy items on the bottom
- Keep all your detergent and cleansers and dryer sheets organized on the top shelves
- Use the main shelf as a place for folding clothes
- Keep a jar/tray/other small container for “pocket finds” and loose change
Idea #11: Picture Perfect
A bakers rack can be a beautiful way to display family portraits and other favorite photos.
- Choose photos and frames in varying sizes to add depth and dimension
- Accessorize with plants, vases, jars, candlesticks, etc.
Idea #12: School Supply Organizer
If you have kids, you know how important it is to organize all their school supplies and materials! Here are some ways you can decorate a bakers rack and use it for organizing school supplies:
- Keep backpacks on the bottom shelves
- Attach dry erase board or calendar to back to keep track of important dates and events
- Use clear totes to hold school supply items like markers, paint, glue, etc.
- Keep a pencil sharpener on the main shelf along with a tray of basic supplies.
I hope you enjoy all these ideas for decorating a bakers rack as much as I enjoyed putting them together for you! I swear, after reading this list, you’ll never look at a boring bakers rack the same way!
Do you have any ideas or themes we might have missed? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below!